- Duke Energy announced late Sunday afternoon that the two substations were “intentionally impacted, damaging multiple pieces” by firearms. It will be necessary to replace equipment which will take multiple days. Current projections estimate that power may not be restored until Thursday, December 8.
- The Town will be unable to provide any non-essential services on Monday, December 5. This includes Parks & Recreation programs and activities as well as traditional Library services. The following buildings will also be closed: administration; Campbell House; community development; E.S. Douglass Community Center; finance and utility billing; recreation center; and park restrooms.
- The Southern Pines Public Library will be open from 10am to 4pm on Monday, December 5. Please know, we do not have internet service so we will not be functioning as a library that day. Rather, we invite the community to come for a warm building with lights and to charge phones or use any electrical devices. We will have board games available for an escape from reality and some snacks and warm drinks. Feel free to go low-tech and cozy up with a book from our shelves, we just won’t be able to accommodate book check-outs, research assistance, and other typical library services.
- The Haney Community Room of the Southern Pines Police Station at 450 W. Pennsylvania Ave. will remain open indefinitely to the public in order to charge electrical devices and get out of the cold. When you enter the Police Station, please let the dispatch staff know that you are using the Haney Room.
- Moore County’s emergency shelter is now open at the Moore County Sportsplex in Carthage and will remain open indefinitely. It is located at 155 Hillcrest Park Lane, off of N.C. 22, near the intersection with U.S. 15-501.
- All Parks & Recreation programs are canceled on Monday, December 5. Staff will follow up with registrants regarding credits and/or refunds, as needed.
- The specially called meeting of the Town’s Planning Board meeting for Monday, December 5th at noon has been cancelled. We will share further details, when available, as to a possible reschedule.
- The Southern Pines Water and Sewer system continues to successfully operate on generator power and we anticipate no interruption in these services. Town utility staff continue to take the necessary steps to maintain prolonged power by generators.
We will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available. It is our goal to fully restore all of our services as immediately as possible, so we will continue monitoring the situation and making decisions day by day.