Regular Business Meeting of the Southern Pines Town Council
June 9, 2020, 6:00 PM, Virtual Meeting
The Southern Pines Town Council Regular Business Meeting of June 9, 2020 will take place by virtual locations for members of Town Council and town staff. The meeting will be accessible to the community by a live online webinar or conference call for applicants and members of the public. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. on June 9, 2020 until Council adjourns.
The purpose of the online meeting is in response to Restrictions on gatherings per North Carolina Executive Order No. 121. There will be two options for public to observe the Meetings-
Attend using your computer or smartphone to watch and listen to the proceedings and to provide comment when prompted. Register for the meeting in advance by going to: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2253529752558770699
- Attend using your telephone to listen to the proceedings and to provide comment when prompted. At the meeting time, dial (631) 992-3221 then use Audio Access Code 968-977-658.
Call to Order
Pledge of Allegiance
1. Manager’s Comments
“No final votes to be taken the evening of Hearing and written comment will be accepted regarding Items B and D for twenty-four hours following the close of the Hearing.”
CU-03-19 & S-48-19 Midsouth East End
Z-02-20 Forest Creek
CU-03-20 Forest Creek
Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Budget Presentation and Hearing
3. Consent Agenda
All items listed below are considered routine and will be enacted by one motion and without discussion.
Capital Reserve Fund Resolution
Amending Fund 64: CRF – Water Ordinance $172,231
Amending Fund 65: CRF – Sewer Ordinance $174,865
Code of Ordinance Amendments
Amendment to Chapter 32, Public Works, Section 32.076
Amendment to Chapter 50, Water and Sewer Use
Amendment to Chapter 50, Water and Sewer Use, Appendix A
Capital Project Fund Ordinances
Fund 40: Amending the Building Renovation Project Budget - $710,000
Fund 44: Amending the Parking Lot Fund Budget - $45,000
Fund 50: Amending the Streambank Stabilization Budget - $75,000
Fund 57: Amending the Sidewalk Phase II Budget - $100,000
Fund 61: Amending the Warrior Woods Lift Station Budget - $283,151
Fund 63: Amending the Lift Station Upgrades Budget - $530,000
Fund 66: Amending the Water Treatment Process Modernization Budget - $517,900
Fund 67: Amending the Water and Sewer Improvements Budget ($212,000)
Fund 67: Amending the Water and Sewer Improvements Budget - $696,000
Fund 68: Amending the East Morganton Road Water Line Budget - $175,928
Fund 74: Amending the Pennsylvania/PeeDee Waterline Budget - $118,843
Fund 75: Amending the Sanitary Sewer Modernization Budget - $750,000
Fund 47: Closing the Public Road Economic Development Fund – ($27,590)
Fund 51: Closing the Fire Substation Fund – ($276,528)
Fund 53: Closing the Pool Park Fund – ($12,740)
Fund 54: Closing the Downtown Park Fund – ($6,748)
Fund 59: Amending the General Capital Reserve Fund - $323,606
4. Public Comment
PUBLIC COMMENT PROCEDURES
The Southern Pines Town Council is committed to allowing members of the public an opportunity to offer comments and suggestions. In addition to public hearings, a special time is set aside for the purpose of receiving such comments and suggestions. All comments
and suggestions addressed to the Council during the Public Comment Period shall be subject to the following procedures:
1. The Public Comment Period will be held at the end of the Council Meeting.
2. Each person choosing to speak is asked to keep their statements to a reasonable length in time in recognition that others may also wish to speak and that the Council requires time to conduct its normal business. The Chair retains the right to limit discussion as he/she deems necessary.
3. Speakers will be acknowledged by the Mayor/Chair. Speakers will address the Council from the lectern at the front of the room and begin their remarks by stating their name and address for the record.
4. Public comment is not intended to require the Council and/or staff to answer any impromptu questions. Speakers will address all comments to the entire Council as whole and not one individual member. Discussions between speakers and members of the audience will not be permitted.
5. Speakers will be courteous in their language and presentation. Matters or comments which are harmful, discriminatory or embarrassing to any citizens, official or employee of the Town shall not be allowed. Speaker must be respectful and courteous in their remarks and must refrain from personal attacks and the
use of profanity.
6. Any applause will be held until the end of the Public Comment Period.
7. Speakers who have prepared written remarks or supporting documents are encouraged to leave a copy of such remarks and documents with the Clerk to the Council.
8. Speakers shall not discuss any of the following: matters which concern the candidacy of any person seeking public office, including the candidacy of the person addressing the Council; matters which are closed session matters, including but not limited to matters within the attorney-client privilege, anticipated or pending litigation, personnel, property acquisition, matters which are made confidential by law; matters which are the subject of public hearings.
9. Action on items brought up during the Public Comment Period will be at the discretion of the Council.