Beginning Monday, June 15, the Southern Pines Public Library will reopen to the public, restoring access to computers, library materials, and other in-house resources. It will operate with temporary new hours: Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. The Library will feature limited occupancy, social distancing, and safety protocols that support public health needs while also delivering the important services that residents depend on.
To accommodate visitors safely, the library has implemented the following procedures:
- Limited and Timed Access: In order to maintain social distancing and sanitizing guidelines, a certain number of patrons are permitted to enter the library at any given time. Each one will check in with a staff member at the front door for access. Computer times will be limited to 1 hour per day.
- Building: Library stacks, seating areas, play areas, and meeting rooms are closed to patrons. Library staff will retrieve requested items. Patrons are able to put up to 5 items on hold ahead of time and pick them up at the Library or through curbside.
- Signage and Markings: To help with social distancing and the formation of orderly lines, signage and painted/taped guides have been installed in the building.
- Enhanced Safety: The library has also installed service desk shields and has provided face masks to staff members. Employees sanitize high-touch surfaces (computers, keyboards, mice, printers, copiers, furnishings, etc.) as often as possible between customer use. Patrons are encouraged to wear masks.
- Meeting Spaces and In-House Library Programs: These will be reintroduced at a later date as safety restrictions allow. Virtual programs are available by following the Library’s Facebook page or Youtube channel.
Patrons with COVID-19 symptoms or recent potential exposures are asked not to visit the library at this time.
SPPL will continue to offer contactless curbside service for anyone wishing to pick up materials without entering the building. Patrons may place holds online through the Library catalog at www.sppl.net or by phone during business hours. When patrons arrive at the library, they should call 910-692-8235 for staff to bring out their items. SPARK, the 24/ Library Kiosk, is another option for borrowing materials. It is located at the new Fire Station at 7850 NC 22 Hwy, Carthage NC.
Digital resources are available 24/7 anywhere patrons have an internet connection. A library card and PIN are typically needed to sign in and electronically borrow books, movies, magazines, and more. Free databases can also help with career and job development, training and certification, language learning, and general research. In addition, the library has outdoor WIFI available for patrons.
The library will continue isolating returned materials for 72 hours.
For more information about the Library’s resources and services, visit www.sppl.net, check out the Library’s page on Facebook, or call 910-692-8235.