I have an issue with an animal. Who do I contact?

The Moore County Health Department, through Moore County Animal Control, is responsible for animal control in Moore County, including Southern Pines. Moore County Animal Control is primarily responsible for enforcing all laws of the state and all ordinances of the county pertaining to animals and cooperating with local law enforcement in fulfilling this duty; enforcing all laws pertaining to rabies control; investigation of all animal bites and quarantine of any domestic animal suspected of having rabies; canvasses for the propose of ascertaining compliance with rabies statutes; investigation of cruelty cases; investigation of nuisance situations; investigation of vicious or dangerous dogs; impoundment of stray domestic animals. Animal Control is not responsible for, or licensed to deal with any situation concerning wildlife, unless a rabies issue is suspected. Animal Control operates during normal business hours of 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. An On Call Officer is available for emergency situation thru 911 after hours and on the weekends and holidays. (SOURCE: Moore County Animal Control website). The On Call Policy and more information about Animal Control is listed on their website. If you see a stray dog or cat, contact Moore County Animal Control at (910) 947-2858. Animal Control will place traps to capture stray animals in a humane way but needs the permission of the property owner to place the traps. Remember that Town of Southern Pines Code of Ordinances prohibits allowing an animal to run at large. “Running at Large” means “Off the premises of the owner, and not under the control of the owner or a member of his or her immediate family or other authorized person either by leash, cord, chain, or other tangible device.” (SOURCE: Town of Southern Pines Code of Ordinances Chapter 91).

Show All Answers

1. I want to stay informed about crime and other activities and events taking place in my community. What is the best way to do that?
2. How do I report a crime, accident or suspicious circumstance?
3. How do I get a copy of a police report?
4. I received a parking ticket from the Southern Pines Police Department or the Southern Pines Fire/Rescue Department. What do I do?
5. I would like to research the crime statistics in Southern Pines. How can I get that information?
6. How do I request “Special Attention” for a specific problem?
7. I would like a police patch for my collection. How do I get one?
8. I am going to be out of town. Will the police department watch my house while I’m gone?
9. I am opening a new business in Southern Pines. How can I provide contact information to the police department in case of an emergency?
10. I would like to do my part to reduce the chance my property will be a target for criminals. Is there anything I can do?
11. I am thinking of having an alarm installed at my home/business. Is there anything I need to know?
12. I was really pleased with the quality of service I received from a Southern Pines Police Department employee. How do I let the police department know?
13. I need to get my fingerprints taken for a professional license, foster care/child care application, employment application, rental/lease application or for another purpose.
14. I have a Tow Agency and would like to know how my agency can be included in the department’s rotation list when a wrecker is needed.
15. I am hosting an event in Southern Pines and I would like a police officer to provide additional security. Is that possible?
16. I am planning on leaving my vehicle parked unattended at the Southern Pines Train Station while I am away. Do I need to notify the police department and ask them to keep a check on it?
17. My organization would like to solicit funds for charitable purposes. Is this activity regulated in Southern Pines?
18. I am applying to the North Carolina Alcohol Beverage Control Commission for a Retail ABC Permit and/or a Special Occasion/Temporary Permit. Do I need to notify the police department?
19. I would like to solicit door-to-door for business purposes. Is this activity regulated in Southern Pines?
20. I have a business that deals in precious metals. Do I need a permit to operate in Southern Pines?
21. I have an issue with an animal. Who do I contact?
22. How do I report possible terrorist activity?