- 8 a.m.
- Fourth Tuesday of every odd number months.
- The Appearance Committees and members will meet on even number months.
- Finance / Planning Office
180 SW Broad St.
Southern Pines, NC 28387
- 2021 Meeting Dates
- All meetings will be held virtually until otherwise noted.
If you have any questions, please call 910-692-4863.
Agendas & Meetings
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The commission has 13 members appointed by the Town Council – 10 members being residents of the town and three being residents of Moore County within the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ).
About the Commission
The Appearance Commission studies the visual problems and needs of the town as well as the ETJ planning / zoning jurisdiction. This commission plans and carries out programs to enhance and improve the visual quality and aesthetic characteristics of the town and the extraterritorial jurisdiction beyond the town limits.
The Town is committed to preserving its natural beauty and environment. Buildings and grounds works closely with the Appearance Commission to maintain and improve the aesthetics of the town.
Some examples of this are:
- Assisting in the implementation of programs of general community beautification
- Making studies of the visual characteristics and problems of the town, including surveys and inventories
- Providing leadership and guidance in matters of community design and appearance to individual, organizations, and agencies
Every year the Town focuses on a specific area for the Landmark Landscapes Program. This program aims to improve the trees and natural appearance of the area, including pruning, replanting, and implementing up-to-date best practices for tree care and maintenance. Several areas have been chosen for this exciting program.
The Southern Pines Appearance Commission is working to keep Southern Pines Beautiful. The Appearance Commission is offering an Adopt-A-Street program as a way for groups to help in the beautification effort in Southern Pines. To participate please fill out the attached agreement and send to Birtha Shaw or Jack Taylor at 140 Memorial Park Ct., Southern Pines NC 28387. We will need a signed agreement to adopt the street of your choice after approval by the Southern Pines Appearance Commission. Adopt at least a six-block stretch roadway and maintain both sides of the street every three months (4 times a year). Each participating group will be recognized with a personalized sign to acknowledge their participation in our Adopt-A-Street Program.
- Southern Pines Growler Company
- Duncraig Manor
- St. Joseph Belle Meade
- St. Joseph Pine Knoll
- 115 Pettingill Place
- 380 S Ashe Street
- 240 E Connecticut Ave.
- 145 E Massachusetts Ave.
- 235 N Page
- Boyd House @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
NC Arbor Day
The Southern Pines Appearance Commission and the Town of Southern Pines recognizes Arbor Day. Currently the Town of Southern Pines has been designated as a Tree City USA for the 41st year in a row.