The Southern Pines Town Council includes four Councilmembers, plus the Mayor. All members are elected at large by voters to a term of four years. Terms of office for the current Town Council are:
2019 to 2023: Mayor Carol Haney, Paul Murphy, Bill Pate
2021 to 2025: Taylor Clement, Ann Petersen
The Southern Pines Town Council needs a citizen to fill a vacant council seat that expires with the November 2025 election. This person will be appointed by the Council in early 2024 and is expected to attend all meetings and vote on important Town business.
If you are interested, visit our Application page for more detail.
TOWN COUNCIL ELECTIONS
Municipal elections are held every two years, in odd numbered years.
TOWN COUNCIL MEETINGS
The Town Council holds three regularly scheduled meetings each month:
- Work Session - 4th Tuesday of each month, 3pm, Haney Community Room at Police Station
- Business Meeting - 2nd Tuesday of each month, 6pm, E.S. Douglass Community Center
- Agenda Meeting - 1st Tuesday of each month, 6pm, Haney Community Room at Police Station
All meetings are open to the public and further details are posted on the Town's web calendar. Council agendas and minutes can be accessed online. When meeting locations, dates or times change the Town Clerk publishes a formal notice. Always check the Town's web calendar for the latest information.
- Haney Community Room at Southern Pines Police Station, 450 W. Pennsylvania Avenue.
- The Haney Community Room is located on the first floor. Enter at either the far door on the left or at the main door in the center of the building.
- E.S. Douglass Community Center, 1185 W. Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Meetings are held in the auditorium. Enter at the front door facing W. Pennsylvania Avenue (entrance has steps) or at the side door on the side of the building facing Carlisle Street (there is a ramp and steps at this door).
CONTACT THE TOWN COUNCIL
There are a variety of ways for the community to communicate with the Town Council:
- Call the Town's administration department at 910-692-7021. Staff will forward a message to the Councilmember(s).
- Mail or drop off correspondence to 125 SE Broad Street, Southern Pines, NC 28387.
- Attend the Business Meeting and address Council during the public comments portion of the agenda.
- E-mail the Town Council using the links below:
Taylor Clement, Mayor
Bill Pate, Mayor Pro Tem
Ann Petersen, Treasurer
Debra Gray, Councilmember