Reagan Parsons, ICMA-CM, has served as the Southern Pines Town Manager since 2004 and has nearly three decades of experience in local government management. He is a Credentialed Manager from ICMA and holds a Master of Public Administration from the University of Arizona.
The Town Manager is appointed by the Town Council for an indefinite term solely on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications. Some responsibilities include:
- Attending all meetings of the Town Council, with the right to take part in discussions, but without the right to vote
- Carrying out the policies and laws adopted by the Town Council
- Conducting the day-to-day business of the Town
- Enforcing the laws and ordinances of the Town
- Keeping the Town Council fully advised of the Town's financial conditions and future financial needs
- Making recommendations to the Town Council as necessary or expedient for the benefit of the public
- Making reports to the Town Council from time to time regarding the affairs of the Town
- Making staff appointments
- Preparing and recommending the annual operating budget to the Town Council for approval
- Serving as the Chief Administrative Officer of the Town
- Supervising the work of all Town departments
Southern Pines is served by two Assistant Town Managers. Jessica Roth oversees the library, planning, and recreation & parks departments, as well as leadership roles with public information, capital planning initiatives, and agenda management for the Town Council. As ATM, Mike Cameron oversees the IT, public works, engineering, inspections, and utilities divisions and departments and also serves as the Southern Pines Fire Chief.